There are various reasons that I’m not a coffee drinker… none of which are pertinent to this post, or to you. A major factor is: in order to heal my adrenals, I’m choosing to avoid caffeine; and when it comes to coffee, this isn’t very hard.
On the rare occasions that I’ve had coffee in the past, it required hefty doses of milk, cream, sugar, and (preferably) whipped cream. In short, it was mostly a “foo-foo” coffee drink; as my friend Laurie would scoff. (She is of the opinion that the darker the coffee, the better.) My French father was of the opinion that if you poured your coffee into a transparent container, and you could see through the cup, that coffee was junk. When he visited me, he always said my coffee was awful. Even though I would quadruple the recommended amount, my coffee was still “too weak” for his taste.
The last time he visited, I went to Trader Joe’s and asked them: “What is your strongest coffee?” After giving me the name of one, the gentleman helping me replied: “Actually, cappuccino would be the strongest.” That’s the one I bought, and I still tripled the recommended amount. My father said it was the best coffee I had ever fixed! After his cup of morning brew, he promptly took a nap in my lazy boy. Go figure. But I digress.
I wanted to create a similar “foo-foo” drink which I could enjoy for breakfast. This is how my “coffeeless smoothie latte” was birthed.
I became acquainted with Teeccino years ago. Teeccino is an herbal coffee substitute made from roasted chicory. We have enjoyed many of its flavors over the years. Recently, Teeccino started making a blend containing dandelion root and presented in tea bag form rather than loose.
Dandelion root has amazing health benefits. You can learn more on the websites listed below.
- 11 Health Benefits of Dandelion Leaves and Dandelion Root
- Health Benefits of Dandelions
- Dandelion Tea for Liver Detox, Healthy Skin and Stomach
Ingredients: Roasted organic carob, organic chicory, organic dandelion root, dates, almonds, natural caramel nut flavor, organic figs.
- Antioxidants from carob, dandelion roots, almonds, dates and figs
- Naturally caffeine free – no processing or chemical residue
- Non-acidic – helps restore alkaline balance
- Natural energy boost – from nutrients, not stimulants
- Contains heart-healthy potassium
- Prebiotic – inulin from chicory root and dandelion root supports beneficial microflora that improves digestion, regularity, and intestinal health
- 100% Gluten free and barley free
Coffeeless Smoothie Latte
Remove the tea bags and let the tea cool a bit.
Note: since (as I have mentioned many times) I do not like using ice, I will sometimes make my tea the night before and store it in the fridge.
Pour the tea into a high-powered blender (I use a Vitamix). Add the protein powder, cashew milk, toffee stevia (I have also used vanilla and hazelnut), erythritol, cinnamon powder, vanilla extract, ice (if using) and Himalayan salt.
If you follow the Trim Healthy Mama plan, you can choose any of the combinations below.
THMers: for a Fuel Puel smoothie (low carb, low fat), I add 1/4 teaspoon of glucomannan powder (as a thickener). For an S smoothie (low carb, high(er) fat), I add heavy cream, MCT oil (or coconut oil), and 1/4 of glucomannan powder.
- Since I don’t care for ice, I omit the ice, add another 1/2 cup of cold water and an additional 1/4 tsp of glucomannan.
- To learn more about glucomannan go here.
- If vegan, omit the dairy and use a vegan protein powder.
Blend until smooth.
You can also add some homemade low carb whipped cream if you want.
Makes one serving.
THM FP or S (depending on your add-ons)
Update: I now sometimes add a scoop of Chocolate Green Superfood.