We all know that we should eat more greens. Though the concept sounds simple, it isn’t always easy. I originally began adding greens to my diet by eating more fruits and vegetables. However, I recently increased my “green” intake by adding a green drink to my routine as often as possible (my goal is once per day).
One major thing I’ve learned is that not all green drink mixes are created equally. Some may be good for you, but regardless of their benefit.. the taste must be acquired; and there is no way to pawn them off on the kids. Healthy or not, they’re not interested.
I must preface with: I have not tried all the green drink mixes available (there are many). I will only review the ones I’ve tried, in hopes that you’ll find it helpful. If you have a favorite one, please share in the comments below.
Green Drink Mix Review
Greens First Superfood
Cost: Retails at $44.99 for 30 servings or $1.50 per servings
- It is made with certified organic fruits and vegetables; and also contains some probiotics
- No wheat, dairy, or preservatives
- According to the label: it contains “15+ Servings of Fruits and Vegetables in Every Scoop”
- Impressive ingredient list and packed with nutrition
- Sweetened with fruits and stevia
- The taste: this was my first green drink and was definitely an acquired taste. It has a mint flavor which makes it hard to hide in smoothies, and the kids (and my husband for that matter) had no interest in drinking the mix with water.
- A bit grainy
- Cost: it is a bit pricey
- Not for green drink novices
- Calories 40
- Fat 1 g
- Carbs 6 g
- Fiber 1 g
- Sugars 1 g
- Protein 1 g
Greens Blend (Proprietary):Barley Grass Juice Powder (Certified Organic), Chlorella (Cracked Cell Wall) Spirulina, USA (Certified Organic)
- Vegetable Blend (Proprietary): (Certified Organic) Carrot Juice Powder, Cauliflower Juice Powder, Broccoli Juice Powder, Spinach Juice Powder, Parsley Juice Powder, Kale Juice Powder
- OxiSure™ Blend (Proprietary): Carrot Powder, Green Tea Extract, Blueberry Powder, Plum Powder, Grape Seed Extract 95%, Cranberry Powder, Raspberry Powder, Tart Cherry Powder, Pine Bark Extract 95%, Broccoli Powder, ‘HiActives’ Tomato Powder 2000, ‘HiActives’ Carrot Powder 1200, ‘HiActives’ Spinach Powder 700, ‘HiActives’ Kale Powder, ‘HiActives’ Brussels Sprout Powder
- Fiber Blend (Proprietary): Oat Betaglucan (Certified Organic) Apple Fiber Pectin, Brown Rice Bran
- Lecithin (Non GMO Soy)
- Sprouted Barley (Certified Organic)
- Enzyme Blend: Bromelain Extract, Papain, Protease, Amylase, Lipase, Cellulase, Lactase
- Probiotics (Dairy Free): L. Acidophilus, B. Longum, L. Casei, L. Rhamnosus
- ResveraMax™ Blend (Proprietary): Polygonum Cuspidatum Extract), Acerola Cherry Powder (Certified Organic), Concord Grape Powder
- Green Tea Extract (Decaffeinated), Quercetin, Milk Thistle Seed Extract, Red Beet Root (Certified Organic), Cinnamon Powder (Certified Organic), Aloe Leaf Powder (Certified Organic), Turmeric Rhizome Extract, Atlantic Kelp Powder (Certified Organic), and Licorice Root Extract
The makers of Greens First also make Greens First Berries, which is more palatable. It has a faint strawberry flavor and no mint. It also contains a tad more carbs (only 8g) but nothing to fuss over. Kids are more likely to drink this one, especially with an added scoop of vanilla protein powder.
Green Superfood Chocolate Infusion by Amazing Grass
Cost: $29.99 for 30 servings or $1 per serving ($22.94 iHerb ~ $0.75 per servings)
- It tastes good!
- The cost is reasonable
- My kids will drink it!
- Non dairy
- Gluten free
- Non GMO
- Fewer servings of veggies than Greens First (but you are more likely to drink it)
- Calories 30
- Fat 1 g
- Carbs 4 g
- Fiber 2 g
- Sugar 0
- Protein 2 g
- Amazing Grass Green Food Blend: Organic Wheat Grass, Organic Barley Grass, Organic Alfalfa, Organic Spirulina, Organic Spinach, Organic Chlorella (cracked cell-wall), Organic Broccoli
- Chocolate Blend: Organic Dutch Chocolate, Redwood Cocoa, Organic Cacao, Natural Chocolate Flavoring
- Amazing Grass Antioxidant Blend: Organic Acai, Organic Maca, Organic Carrot, Organic Beet, Raspberry, Organic Rose Hips, Organic Pineapple, Green Tea, Acerola Cherry
- EFA Fiber Blend: Organic Flax Seed Powder, Organic Oat Fiber, Apple Pectin Fiber
- Digestive Enzyme & Active Culture Pre & Probiotic Blend, F.O.S. (Fructooligosaccharide from Chicory Root), Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Protease (Aspergillus oryzae), Amylase (Aspergillus oryzae), Lipase (Aspergillus niger), Lactase (Aspergillus oryzae), Cellulase (Trichoderma ressei)
Earth’s Promise Strawberry Kiwi
Cost: $26.99 for 14 servings or $1.93 per servings ($17.28 iHerb ~ $1.24 per servings)
- Tastes amazing (very fruity)
- Free of yeast, gluten, corn, dairy products, artificial coloring, artificial flavoring, preservatives, and ingredients of animal origin
- A bit grainy
- Small pouch size (only 14 servings)
- Calories 55
- Fat <1 g
- Carbs 10 g
- Sugars 2 g
- Fiber 4 g
- Protein 1 g
- Fiber Blend: inulin from chicory root, guar gum seed extract
- Greens Blend: barley grass, alfalfa sprouts, broccoli sprouts, radish sprouts, oat grass, wheat grass, alfalfa juice concentrate
- Fruit Blend: mango fruit, kiwi fruit, strawberry fruit
- Vegetable Blend: broccoli flower, cabbage leaf, carrot root, collard greens, tomato fruit, mustard greens, kale leaf, spinach leaf, Green Tea Leaf Extract, Seaweed Blend dulse, blue-green algae, kelp leaf and stem
- Stevia Leaf Extract
Cost: $38.95 for 30 servings or $1.30 per servings ($27.42 iHerb ~ $0.91 per servings)
- Free of dairy, fructose, wheat, beans, spinach, and yeast
- Packs a lot of nutrition
- No mint taste (like Greens First), so it can be more easily blended into smoothies
- I added 1 scoop of chocolate protein, which improved the taste immensely
- It is an acquired taste
- >Calories 39
- Fat 1 g
- Sugar 3 g
- Carbs 6 g
- Fiber 1.7g
- Protein 1 g
- Nutrient Dense Superfoods: 2880 mg >>> Barley grass juice powder, certified organic beet juice powder, organic carrot juice powder, chlorella – cracked cell, parsley juice powder, spirulina powder, and watercress juice powder.
- Antioxidant Blend: (ORAC value=3,083) 2675 mg >>> Acerola berry juice powder, bioflavinoids (citrus), blueberry powder, grape seed extract – 92%, green tea catechins – 60%, orange juice powder, pineapple juice powder, red raspberry powder,turmeric powder, vitamin c – natural rose hips, vitamin e (d-alpha tocopherol), dandelion,aloe vera – freeze dried, and spearmint.
- Pow R Fiber: 790 mg >>> Apple fiber, apple pectin, flax seed meal – certified organic and rice bran powder.
- Energizing Cellular Support: 1695 mg >>> Bamboo, cinnamon,gingko biloba, horsetail, lecithin powder – 99% oil free, siberian ginseng – eleutherococcus, suma, and stevia.
- Immune Support: Non-dairy probiotic culture – 8.5 Billion 700 mg Proprietary blend: 710 mg >>> Astragalus membranaceous, damiana, ginger powder, silymarin silibummarianum – 80%, nova scotia dulse, royal jelly 5% 10-had, plant enzymes: lipase, protease, amylase and cellulose.
Green Drink Mix Review: Conclusion
I plan to buy Green Superfood Chocolate Infusion and Earth’s Promise Strawberry Kiwi, regularly. I figured…even if another blend has more nutrition, I’m more likely to drink the two that I found enjoyable; as will the entire family.