I have been wanting to incorporate more bone broth into my diet, though I’ve avoided doing so; due to the lengthy preparation.
I can make bone broth in an Instant Pot (electric pressure cooker) in under 3 hours.
While it’s not exactly a miracle-cure-for-everything-that-ails-you, bone broth is truly a health elixir for several reasons:
- It is healing to the gut**    
- It has anti-inflammatory properties  
- It helps to maintain healthy joints due to its gelatin content (the breakdown of collagen)      
- It has bone healing properties   
- It appears to be healing to the liver 
- It seems to improve immune function   
- It is high in minerals  
- It promotes healthy skin and hair 
I must be perfectly honest and divulge that there are some detractors out there (aren’t they some for everything?) who disregard the health benefits of bone broth. They usually mention a lack of factual studies proving the health value of bone broth.
That statement is true. There are no studies. Who wants to spend a fortune for a study on bone broth which can’t be patented? Meaning, one cannot profit?
The answer is no one.
Companies spend money when there is something in it for them (more money). There is no money in bone broth (although some companies are now making bone broth powder).
While there are, indeed, no studies on bone broth; there are studies on the individual “components” of bone broth, mainly gelatin. (See the resource section below).
I’m not saying bone broth is a miracle cure. What I am saying is that maybe your grandma was right about bone broth being good stuff. At the very least, it won’t hurt you.
**Note: if you want to learn more about the importance of gut health, you may want to read this book: The Second Brain: A Groundbreaking New Understanding of Nervous Disorders of the Stomach and Intestine
Making Bone Broth in an Instant
I bought organic beef bones at a grocery store – Sprout’s – in the frozen section. I assume other naturally minded grocery stores have them as well, and I strongly encourage you to buy organic. I use about 3 pounds of bones (mostly beef).
I place the bones in my Instant Pot.
I then add some celery, carrots, bell peppers, onions, parsley, garlic, and whatever I think will make my broth tastier. Since the vegetables are for flavor and you can use whatever vegetables and spices you want. However, I would avoid starchy veggies like potatoes.
I also add 1 to 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, some Himalayan salt, and some lemon pepper (a personal choice).
I then fill up my pot to the “max line.” I place the Instant Pot lid on and secure it. I have used both the meat-stew setting and the soup setting with equal success. I set the timer for 120 minutes.
When my broth is done, I let the pressure release on its own.
I usually make my broth in the evening and the broth will still be warm in the morning.
I then strain all the veggies out of the broth and pour into Mason jars.
When it has cooled sufficiently, I place the jars in the fridge.
Once the broth is totally cooled, the fat will have floated and set on the top of the broth. At this point, I remove it.
I try to drink some daily. I also use it when making soups, stews, rice, etc.
Sources for Making Bone Broth in an Instant Pot:
-  Why Broth is Beautiful: Essential Roles for Proline, Glycine and Gelatin
-  Chicken soup inhibits neutrophil chemotaxis in vitro
-  Effects of oral administration of type II collagen on rheumatoid arthritis
-  Treatment of rheumatoid arthritis with oral type II collagen. Results of a multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial
-  A pilot trial of oral type II collagen in the treatment of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis
-  Effects of orally administered undenatured type II collagen against arthritic inflammatory diseases: a mechanistic exploration
-  Therapeutic efficacy of undenatured type-II collagen (UC-II) in comparison to glucosamine and chondroitin in arthritic horses
-  Bone Broth heals bones in rabbits
-  Taking Stock: Soup for Healing Body, Mind, Mood, and Soul
-  Bone Broth—One of Your Most Healing Diet Staples
-  Bone Broth: Heal Your Gut and Lose Cellulite!
-  5 Reasons to Add Bone Broth to Your Diet
- 18 Amazing Health Benefits Of Bone Broth